Saudi Ports Authority (Mawani) was established in 1396H/1976AD, as a specialized working system for constructing and managing Saudi ports in high efficiency level. Within few years only, Saudi Ports Authority succeeded in transforming the Saudi ports to a vital economic feeder. After that, Saudi ports with its diverse specialties played an exceptional role in developing the regional and international maritime business, and transporting passengers, especially the visitors of holy places in the Kingdom.
The year 1417AH/1996AD was a turning point in Saudi ports' history, where our esteemed government announced its big and endless support to national developing projects. The ports sector was the first sector to be privatized in the Kingdom. This turning point was accompanied by an exceptional role played by the private sector. An enormous amount of money was invested in developing Saudi ports and its administrations according to modern methods. This historical and significant step has effectively helped in transforming our ports into independent economic entities that support national economy efficiently and comprehensively with steady steps towards larger ends and broad growth. Exports soar from 10% to 70% of total cargo movement in ports in only few years.
The Saudi ports network consists of 9 ports; 6 of them are commercial and the other 3 are industrial ports equipped with the latest necessary technologies and operational methods to welcome all types of maritime shipping modes, regardless of how it is developed, and to face all challenges and changes with confidence. Saudi ports have been internationally recognized for their development and growth in all economic sectors, which is reflected in receiving the largest share of exports and imports around the world.
An effective encouraging for competitiveness authority that supports the development plans and the diversity of KSA's economy with going with the flow of the international developments of ports sector.
Working to build a solid ground for the status of Saudi Ports Authority as a leader of ports sector which link the national economy with international market and the unstoppable work to develop establishments and working force to reach to the highest standards of efficiency and continuously.
- Establish and manage an effective and safe organization, with an open and inclusive culture aiming to enhance team spirit, and allowing Saudi ports to contribute in competitiveness.
- Enhancing the competiveness of the ports sector, while considering the port's clients as key players in developing the strategic system of Saudi ports.
- Enhancing renewed solutions to facilitate operational efficiency.
- Recognizing Saudi Ports Authority as the leader in environmental services and response through activating practices that reduce or eliminate the effects of ports operations and their impact on the environment and the health risks it poses to society.
- Ensuring a safe environment for individuals, assets and cargo, and facing impacts on communities surrounding Saudi ports.
- Customs Clearance Mechanism